You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to percussion forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

dogspercussion

Unregistered

Saturday, April 21st 2012, 2:34pm

dogspercussion / p.dog

Hi everybody,

my name is Oliver and I am (the owner of) Dog´s Percussion in Kiel (in the north of Germany). I started to build cajones in 2005, because I was asked to give a workshop on musical instrument construction for occupational therapists. At that time you could already find several tutorials in the internet how to build afro-peruvian cajones. Beside pan flutes, didgeridoos and cowbells six cajones were produced under my direction. But all of them became more or less unacceptable (seen from a musical point of view) and I got very furious about this. So, constructing a perfect cajon became a so-called "fixed idea" and I developed a kind of guiding vision: the cosmic box. In German you have the alliteration Kosmische Kiste (=cosmic box) what makes it probably easier to believe that there could exist a higher sense behind all profan daily efforts in my little workshop ;) . But until today my work has really maintained it´s experimental character. This means: every Dog´s cajon differs in (at least) one single detail from the others.

In 2007 I was asked by Arend Schmidt-Landmeier (Hamburg) to join the conception- and coordination-team for the first cajon festival in Germany (Horner Cajon-Festival) and 2008 I registered Dog´s Percussion as a trade officially. At the same time I met Markus Zell, a drum teacher in Kiel, who was already playing cajon in several folk groups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY7hf6-Uh5A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdoAQT3usx4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEvGh0_ODz8

We had lots of discussions and his ability to demonstrate rhythmic conceptions (for example how a drummer like Steve Gadd would play a pattern on cajon etc.) inspired me very much.

Another validation for my work happened when Nené Vásquez wanted a cajon and later asked me to co-operate regarding a signature model.

And now I am very excited about the upcoming co-operation with the new Dog´s endorser Benjamin Sommer, who is a percussion-player (and -teacher) from Odense (Danmark).

Finally I want to out myself as the initiator of percussionforum.net. I am here as dogspercussion as well as p.dog (who is responsible for the more technical things).

I am looking forward to good discussions with friends all over the world. :)

Oliver

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "dogspercussion" (Apr 21st 2012, 2:39pm)

Date of registration: Apr 21st 2012

Occupation: Sängerin, Percussionistin, Vocalcoach, Dozentin für Drums, Percussion, rhythmische und musikalische Früherziehung

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 12:54am

Thank you for giving us this platform and the opportunity for exchange!
I think this is a great idea and will try to help and spread the word!

Besitos,
Su