You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to percussion forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "JOHNNY CONGA" started this thread

Date of registration: Jun 18th 2012

Monday, June 18th 2012, 7:36pm

Musician/Educator-Johnny Conga

Hello everyone..my name is Johnny Conga, that's right. I have been Johnny Conga since 1967 when I started playing in Latin bands in New York city..since then I have been in over 150 bands to date,over 17 International World tours/over 50 countries, over 200 recordings and have worked with over 20 Grammy winning artists..from the Jackson 5 to Sergio Mendes and many others...besides being a musician I am also a teacher of How to play the Conga drum..I have taught around the United States at various Universities and currently Adjunct faculty at Shoreline Community College in the state of Washington.
To see my learning and performance videos please go to http://www.youtube.com/user/JohnnyConga my How to play Tumbao video is almost at 500,000 hits and very popular...my recent CD "Breaking Skin/Rompiendo el Cuero" is also available at
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/congajohnny

I also offer a personal opportunity a "Conga Intensive", to those who want to learn from me in my home in Seattle Washington-USA. I have had students of the drum live with me for up to 5 days, and I teach them for 6 hours a day, or a 3 day Conga Intensive is also available...former students have come from Italy, Australia,England, Puerto Rico, Florida, New York, California and other places to study the drum with me...if interested in my 5 day or 3 day Conga Intensive please email me at johnnyconga@hotmail.com for more details(room and food included in price). This is a total immersion into learning how to play the drum ...
The study of the Conga drum

Cuban methods as taught in Cuba today and also my methods developed over 30 years of teaching
how to play the Conga drum

Sound development-utilizing the 5 parts of the hand Heel/Palm/Fulcrum/Inner knuckles/and Tips of fingers
Hand exercises which include my S.T.O.M.P method-Slap Tone Open Muffle Palm
Rudimentary hand drumming and approaches on Conga drum
One conga drum, 2 conga drums, 3 conga drums
Styles in Mambo, Rumba, Salsa, Son, Latin Jazz and Folkloric
Counting and keeping time
Stick control for timbales
Baqueteo patterns -Cascara(shell)of the timbal and cowbell patterns in clave
Abanico- 7 stroke and 9 stroke rolls
Styles on timbales-Danzon, Son, Mambo, Rumba, Salsa, Cha Cha Cha, Bolero
Reading and writing for Latin percussion
Latin Rhythm Theory
Ensemble performance
The Clave & pulse
6/8 Clave
Son Clave
Rumba Clave
The Clave today
Phrasing with the Clave
Variations on the Clave
Polyrhythms in Cuban Music
CongaRobics

Cuban and Caribbean Rhythms taught are:

Bolero-5 variations
Caballo(Horse rhythm)-with variations
Danzon
Yambu
Guaguanco-6 variations
Rumba-with variations-columbia/abierto(open) 2Conga drums/one drum/New York street style rumba-Havana and Matanzas
Abakua-one drum pattern to 3 drum patterns
Plena(Puerto Rico)
Bomba
Bomba Sica
Bomba Yuba
Bambiche
Merengue(Domincan Republic)
Mozambique-old school/new school variations
Cumbia(Columbia)-with variations on one drum to 3 drums
Bembe(Afro) variations
Conga Comparsa(Carnival drumming) with variations
Changui
Calypso(Trinidad) one to 3 conga drums with variations
Bossa Nova(Brasil) with variations from one to 3 conga drums
Afro-Samba(Brasil)
Baion(Brasil)
Samba on 2 to 3 conga drums
Songo with 9 variations
Pilon on 3 congas
Iyesa with variations
6/8 basic one conga drum to 3 conga drums
Guarapachangeo with variations from 2 drums to 5
Ritmo Pa Ca
Dengue
Jala Jala
Tumbaos(basic rhythmic conga patterns for Latin Dance music) with many variations
Chaonda-
6/8 Bell patterns on conga drum with variations
Mongo Santamarias tumbaos and rhythmic approaches
Mongos Merengue
Mongos Afro Blue with variations

"Cognitive Discovery" with the Drum: A new way of learning how to use your brain in ways to develop your intake of information and how it's interpreted on the Conga drum.

I ALSO OFFER ONLINE CONGA DRUM LESSONS THRU SKYPE OR FACEBOOK CHAT....THIS WORKS!!....I HAVE BEEN TEACHNG ONLINE FOR OVER A YEAR NOW AND THIS REALLY WORKS, IN THE COMFORT OF YOUR OWN HOME, AND TAUGHT BY A PROFESSIONAL.....References upon request...I look forward to helping anyone on their road with the Drum....

dogspercussion

Unregistered

Tuesday, June 19th 2012, 12:44am

Hello Johnny,

it is a great pleasure for me to welcome you here at percussionforum.net. I visit your congaplace-forum almost every day - and (to be honest) am not always able to understand really what is dicussed there :S . But I like very much your tutorials at YouTube, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S94wquKDHaQ&feature=relmfu

Therefore I have no doubt that your lessons via SKYPE work quite good. In some years affordable equipment will enable to make high-end workshops with whole groups and you - as teacher in life-size and 3D - on a wall :) .

As an occupational therapist am I also interested in discussing things from a neuro-physical and -psychical point of view. Maybe your concept of "Cognitive Discovery" with drums could give some inspiration for my rhythm training conception for young people with social handicaps. Can I buy it somewhere (as a book, as a dvd)?

Would you like to tell a little more about what you call Cuban teaching methods? It would interest me if there are some similarities to what the Ghanaian master drummer Ladzekpo (professor for African music at the Berkeley university) wrote about both rhythmical and educational principles (for drummers) in his home country?

http://home.comcast.net/~dzinyaladzekpo/PrinciplesFr.html

dogspercussion