You are not logged in.

dogspercussion

Unregistered

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 12:25pm

Bata Music - Solo Virtuosity

I got the permission by Bassam Abdul Salam to publish a fragment of his Bata solo performance at my YouTube-channel. It was recorded 2006 at the GS Horn in Hamburg:

http://youtu.be/GSB27sOCank

Somebody pushed the dislike-button. Are there good reasons for objections?

dogspercussion

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "dogspercussion" (Apr 22nd 2012, 2:22pm)

Pherc

Date of registration: May 27th 2013

Monday, May 27th 2013, 10:58pm

I think people, who disliked it, are wondering for the title of the video/performance. There is nothing common with any bata-rythms from Cuba, but it is clear, when you read the title, that the artist really wanted to play them. I think, to play the bata-rythms without the sound and without the feeling of cuban bata-rythms, needs a lot of courage and self-confidence. And this is, what Mr. Salam surely has got. And for this he has got a push on the like-button from me.

dogspercussion

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 28th 2013, 9:22pm

Welcome in this forum, Pherc! And thank you for the post.

There is nothing common with any bata-rythms from Cuba

Bassam took the patterns from original Bata arrangements and transcribed them to his specific drum-set.

I think, to play the bata-rythms without the sound and without the feeling of cuban bata-rythms, needs a lot of courage and self-confidence. And this is, what Mr. Salam surely has got.

He has been a top-educated classic percussion player. When he was young he belonged to the international youth orchestra at the so-called Schleswig-Holstein Musik Festival, which worked with Leonard Bernstein. So, maybe this is an explaination for his enormous courage and some lack of feeling as well. - Later he switched to afro-cuban percussion and played in different musicals in Hamburg and Kiel.

And for this he has got a push on the like-button from me.

May I ask, what makes you competent for bata feeling?

dogspercussion

Pherc

Thursday, May 30th 2013, 10:56am

Dear Dogspercussion,
This is my Opinion: If people not want to dance to it, it is not the rythm it ain´t to be.
And for this, i don´t need to be an expert.
Don´t misanderstand this. I like Bassams Performance, but it should be named "Batarythms played in a new way", or something like that.

Pherc

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Pherc" (May 30th 2013, 11:16am)

Pherc

Thursday, May 30th 2013, 11:18am

And see, what i have found.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5KjImUXQ…BnEqnq3Yxw9lahQ
I like this guy too.

Pherc

dogspercussion

Unregistered

Thursday, May 30th 2013, 12:11pm

Hi Pherc,

this is a nice way of seeing rhythm - the relation to dancing. Btw.: I know awsome drummers who are unable to make correct steps, when these steps are meant as dancing. This is probably a neuro-physiological phenomenum - similar skills correlated to different brain areas, which are not connected with each other (or even are not localized in the same hemispheres). Bassam´s performance is possibly more motivated by aims in brain sports than in music.

... it should be named "Batarythms played in a new way", or something like that.

The clip´s title refers not to bata music. Maybe we should not call it batarhythms but bata patterns.

Yes, the ClevePozar clips are very similar - thank you for the link.

dogspercussion