You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to percussion forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

dogspercussion

Unregistered

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 12:25pm

Bata Music - Solo Virtuosity

I got the permission by Bassam Abdul Salam to publish a fragment of his Bata solo performance at my YouTube-channel. It was recorded 2006 at the GS Horn in Hamburg:

http://youtu.be/GSB27sOCank

Somebody pushed the dislike-button. Are there good reasons for objections?

dogspercussion

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "dogspercussion" (Apr 22nd 2012, 2:22pm)

Pherc

Date of registration: May 27th 2013

Monday, May 27th 2013, 10:58pm

I think people, who disliked it, are wondering for the title of the video/performance. There is nothing common with any bata-rythms from Cuba, but it is clear, when you read the title, that the artist really wanted to play them. I think, to play the bata-rythms without the sound and without the feeling of cuban bata-rythms, needs a lot of courage and self-confidence. And this is, what Mr. Salam surely has got. And for this he has got a push on the like-button from me.

dogspercussion

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 28th 2013, 9:22pm

Welcome in this forum, Pherc! And thank you for the post.

There is nothing common with any bata-rythms from Cuba

Bassam took the patterns from original Bata arrangements and transcribed them to his specific drum-set.

I think, to play the bata-rythms without the sound and without the feeling of cuban bata-rythms, needs a lot of courage and self-confidence. And this is, what Mr. Salam surely has got.

He has been a top-educated classic percussion player. When he was young he belonged to the international youth orchestra at the so-called Schleswig-Holstein Musik Festival, which worked with Leonard Bernstein. So, maybe this is an explaination for his enormous courage and some lack of feeling as well. - Later he switched to afro-cuban percussion and played in different musicals in Hamburg and Kiel.

And for this he has got a push on the like-button from me.

May I ask, what makes you competent for bata feeling?

dogspercussion

Pherc

Thursday, May 30th 2013, 10:56am

Dear Dogspercussion,
This is my Opinion: If people not want to dance to it, it is not the rythm it ain´t to be.
And for this, i don´t need to be an expert.
Don´t misanderstand this. I like Bassams Performance, but it should be named "Batarythms played in a new way", or something like that.

Pherc

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Pherc" (May 30th 2013, 11:16am)

Pherc

Thursday, May 30th 2013, 11:18am

And see, what i have found.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5KjImUXQ…BnEqnq3Yxw9lahQ
I like this guy too.

Pherc

dogspercussion

Unregistered

Thursday, May 30th 2013, 12:11pm

Hi Pherc,

this is a nice way of seeing rhythm - the relation to dancing. Btw.: I know awsome drummers who are unable to make correct steps, when these steps are meant as dancing. This is probably a neuro-physiological phenomenum - similar skills correlated to different brain areas, which are not connected with each other (or even are not localized in the same hemispheres). Bassam´s performance is possibly more motivated by aims in brain sports than in music.

... it should be named "Batarythms played in a new way", or something like that.

The clip´s title refers not to bata music. Maybe we should not call it batarhythms but bata patterns.

Yes, the ClevePozar clips are very similar - thank you for the link.

dogspercussion