You are not logged in.

dogspercussion

Unregistered

Saturday, June 30th 2012, 9:40pm

Udus - Maybe a Trend

Momentary I can see a little trend toward udus (or ibos as Meinl calls this type of percussion instrument). David Kuckhermann gives a playing workshop on bonedo.de and Markus Ostfeld introduces the so-called Cajudoo in his cajon workshops with peculiar engagement.

What can be said about this instrument? And what is the difference between udus and ghatams from India?

As I found out are there differences of material and – at least - two general philosophies regarding the burning temperature. On one side we have instruments made from ordinary clay burned with low
temperatures similar to the originals from Nigeria. On the other side we find recipes of clay mixtures which have to be burned with more heat for specific sound characters.
  • The most famous udu maker in the western world is Frank Giorgini in New York.
  • Schlagwerk offers several models since many years. Their instruments are the reference here in Germany.
  • Meinl calls their udus „ibos“ because Schlagwerk owns the name „udu“ as a registered trademark.
  • Hands On Drums from Germany places its emphasis on low prices.
  • Descarga Percussion from Athens builds many different forms and sizes. The prices depend on the used clay-components, the glaze and the procedure of burning.
dogspercussion

dirigibledrums

Unregistered

Saturday, April 6th 2013, 10:30pm

Udu or pote drums

Hi Dog Percussion.
I have had a few made here in the UK by a local potter to my specification, after about 3 different versions i think i got it right sound wise. We only make 4 at a time and im waiting on some more. I agree with you about the trend. I will post a pic up in the gallery.

dogspercussion

Unregistered

Saturday, April 13th 2013, 3:16pm

Hi dirigibledrums,

welcome in this forum and thanks for the pics!

As I learned from Theo Gkodas (Descarga Percussion) it depends on a specific clay mixture - as I learned from Jens Rabenseifner (Hands On Drums) it depends on the optimal volume in relation to the possible air compression inside the udu. Do you prefer high or low burning temperature? One of the shown udus seems to be rather thick.

dogspercussion